Tragic news has come out of the state of Washington over the past several weeks. A landslide has taken several lives, and the search continues for individuals who have been reported missing since the landslide. It’s heartbreaking. It’s hard, I’m sure, for the survivors to worry about missing family members, and for parents to learn of their children having passed away in the disaster.
The Red Cross has been on the scene, providing water, food, shelter, and health care to those who are survivors of the landslide. They’ve also set up grief counseling for survivors. I cannot imagine what survivors must be going through. To help with a monetary contribution, you can call 1-800-RED-CROSS, text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 via your phone bill, or visit their website. You can also contact your local chapter if you are interested in volunteering to help.
The Washington State Combined Fund Page has been raising money for a number of different organizations that have been helping on the ground. You can choose to give money with your credit card or through your paycheck.
Catholic Community Services of Western Washington is accepting donations to assist the people of the Oso community. Those wishing to donate by mail can send checks made out to Catholic Community Services with “Oso Mudslide” in the memo to:
Catholic Community Services
Attn: Oso Mudslide
100 23rd Ave.
S. Seattle, WA 98144-2312
Also taking cash donations are:
- Cascade Valley Hospital Foundation – 330 S. Stillaguamish Ave. in Arlington, or online or by phone at 360-435-2133
- The Coastal Community Bank
- United Way – online and at United Way of Snohomish County, Attn: Finance Dept. 3120 McDougall Ave., Ste 200, Everett, WA 98201
- Salvation Army – Donate by phone at 800-725-2769, online, or by mail to Salvation Army, Northwest Divisional Headquarters, 111 Queen Anne Ave. N. #300, Seattle, WA 98109
- Animal Rescue Foundation – you can donate online.
There is also a number of events that have been organized for providing relief. These events can be viewed at MyNorthwest.com, but here are some highlights:
- April 26th, there will be a run sponsored by the Arlington Runners Club. They will have a moment of silence at 10:37 a.m. at the Arlington Airport Trail.
- April 27th is the date for a benefit dinner and silent auction that will be held at Nature’s Connection Place in Arlington. They are looking for donations from businesses, assistance with the event, and food donations. You can email email@example.com to learn more. 3
- Saturday May 10th: Flights Pub in Everett will be giving 50% of proceeds from their event with live performances by Lacero, Darklight, Rain Light Fade, and Eros.
There are many other ways to get involved (many can be found on the MyNorthwest.com link). What will you do to aid those affected by the landslide in Washington? Post your ideas and events in the comments.