Doctors Without Borders is one of the older health agencies working to assist individuals around the world. This organization was founded in 1971, and according to their website, all members:
- Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
- Médecins Sans Frontières observes neutrality and impartiality in the name of universal medical ethics and the right to humanitarian assistance and claims full and unhindered freedom in the exercise of its functions.
- Members undertake to respect their professional code of ethics and to maintain complete independence from all political, economic, or religious powers.
- As volunteers, members understand the risks and dangers of the missions they carry out and make no claim for themselves or their assigns for any form of compensation other than that which the association might be able to afford them
There is a variety of opportunities available to those wishing to become involved with this organization. Outside of donating, you can:
- Apply to work with MCF in the field. Urgent needs include nurse midwives, anesthesiologists, orthopedic surgeons, and operating room nurses. Other needs include individuals who are experts at construction.
- Apply to work with MCF in the office. Coordinators, web developers, and web designers are all needed.
- Apply to work with MCF as a volunteer in the New York office. There are also internships available.
- Organize a Doctors Without Borders fundraiser.
- Become a foundation donor or corporate partner.
- Share news from the MCF/DWB website.
- Participate in one of the MCF campaigns. Check the website to find out what they need help with currently.
- Support events MCF sponsors near you.
There are many ways to become involved with this great organization. How will you show your support?