The Dress a Girl Around the World program is sponsored by the organization Hope 4 Women International. The program has provided over 300,000 dresses for girls around the world. Participants sew a dress out of cotton fabric for a young girl to wear. Often, these are the only new dresses that some of these girls will ever wear. Dresses help protect the girls from predators – both because they cover the child’s body and because the label identifies the child as being looked-after by this organization. Their motto is “Every girl deserves at least one dress.”
There are many different ways to get involved with this project:
- You can donate money to help keep the project running
- You can host an event to create dresses for the organization
- You can sew dresses for the organization
- You can sponsor a woman living in poverty
- You can join an event where dresses are being sewn
- You can host a Pillowcase Princess party
- Purchase items from the Dress a Girl Around the World Web Store
It’s important to be involved with a variety of community projects, and helping girls across the world have access to quality clothing is certainly one way to be involved. If you’d like to sew a dress, please follow the pattern and directions on the website, and contact your local ambassador for the program for more information. This is a great project for sewing clubs, 4-H clubs, and those who are crafty and would love to donate their time and resources to an amazing cause.
Have you been involved with Dress a Girl Around the World? Share your experience in the comments.