Every nine seconds, a woman in the U.S. is beaten or assaulted. This is a staggering statistic, and while some men are victims of abuse, statistics show that one in three women, around the world, will be beaten, raped, or otherwise abused in her lifetime. (Domestic Violence Statistics)
Fortunately, there are many ways to get involved with preventing domestic violence, helping those who need to find safety and shelter, and helping survivors come to terms with the trauma they experienced. From donating resources to donating time to becoming an advocate for the cause, any level of involvement you choose will help a woman (and quite possibly her children) find safety and start over. Here are some of the national organizations involved with domestic violence issues.
This organization has many levels of involvement for those who wish to help. Here are some ways that you can get involved with this organization:
- Donate unwanted cell phones, accessories, laptops, mp3 players or other electronics through Cellular Recycler
- Donate a vehicle by calling 1-800-CHARITY CARS and tell the representative that you want your donation to benefit the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- Organize activities for Domestic Violence Awareness Month in your community
- Become a board member with the coalition
- Become a member of the organization and support the efforts that way
- Purchase items from the National Coalitions Online Store
- Donate as little as $1 or as much as you would like to the cause
- Participate in the annual conference to learn more about how you can help those in your community
- Learn how you can become an advocate and contact your government officials to help enact laws to keep women and children safe
National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-SAFE)
The National Domestic Violence Hotline provides 24 hour support for those who need help. The hotline was created as part of the 1996 Violence Against Women Act. Here are some ways you can become involved with this organization.
- Support legislation that keeps the hotline open
- Make a monetary donation to the organization
- Host an event to raise money to donate to the hotline
- Purchase Switch Gear Jewelry kits to donate $5 per kit to the organization
- Purchase other items such as the book Playing Power by ken Dolan-Del Vecchio or “Love, Dignity, Respect” t-shirts to help raise money
- Volunteer to answer calls through the hotline (if you live in Austin, Texas)
- Keep the number on hand to give to someone who may need it
This registry is run by a non-profit and allows individuals to report convicted domestic violence offenders. By registering an individual convicted of a crime on this site, you can help to prevent that individual from committing the crime against future partners. In addition to reporting via this website, you can help support legislation promoting a national registry for those convicted of partner abuse.
This U.K. based organization helps to prevent violence against women. Ways of getting involved include donating, hosting fundraising events, buying items including lip gloss, and volunteering with the organization. In addition, some shelters will accept donated goods like blankets, pillows, and clothing.
Getting involved with this cause is a noble way to use your time. What are some ways you can get involved with helping those who have been victims of domestic violence? What are your favorite national assistance organizations? Share your ideas in the comments.